Re: processing of babel blocks and select_tags

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: processing of babel blocks and select_tags
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:45:41 +0000

Hi John,

On Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 10:33, John Kitchin wrote:
> I guess that is just expanding the src blocks, not actually running
> them. I couldn't find where that happens though, it is early in the
> export process I think.

There are two types of lines that appear often in *Messages*:

: org-babel-exp process julia at position 65992...

: Wrote /tmp/babel-B5awWV/ob-input-0gUtuB

The first is quite straightforward although why any processing is being
done is unclear unless this just means checking the header arguments,
which would make sense.  For the second, although I am not entirely sure
what they refer to (as the tmp files disappear), I have a feeling that
this is where the problem is.  I think this refers to where data tables
are being incorporated into or processed for a src block even when not
necessary.

It's reassuring that it doesn't sound like I am doing anything silly so
I will look into the babel code to see if I can figure out how to get it
to short-circuit sooner...

> Maybe you can just use a preprocessing hook to export to org, which
> should only include the selected sections, then export that to what
> you want.

I guess that is what I was hoping #+SELECT_TAGS would do for me. ;-)

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.2-385-g37d8bc in Emacs 29.0.50