Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:15:42 +0800

Hi Tim,

> +1. We cannot possibly support every user’s preferred platform. Besides,
> didn’t Discord just do an IPO? This increases the likelihood the

Not Discord, /Discourse/ — <https://www.discourse.org/>,
<https://github.com/discourse/discourse>.

It’s basically a good self-hostable OSS forum, who also offer limited free
hosting to other OSS projects but provide hosting as a commercial service.
Arguably much more in line with the goals of the FSF than Reddit/StackExchange.

For example discourses, see:
<https://discourse.mozilla.org/>
<https://discourse.nixos.org/>
<https://neovim.discourse.group/>

It’s rather nice at being able to have separate categories of discussion (e.g.
bugs, feature requests, development work-in-progress, workflow discussions) all
in one place and allowing people to only be subscribed to what they’re
interested in. When a thread drifts off-topic you can create a new linked thread
in another category, which is rather nice. It’s also much more searchable, along
with a few other benefits.

All the best,
Timothy