Can't cite multiple sources with biblatex, autocites & autopunct

From: Zac E
Subject: Can't cite multiple sources with biblatex, autocites & autopunct
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 00:37:44 -0500

Org-Cite does not appear to respect the biblatex package’s autopunct option
when citing more than one source and exporting from .org to .pdf via .tex. The
org exporter inserts a \relax command after the \autocites command, preventing
the swapping of citation and punctuation (period), as should otherwise be
enabled by the autopunct option. If I try to manually swap the punctuation and
citation, LaTeX removes the space before the next sentence, so the use of
autopunct is necessary.

The relevant part of my header looks like:
#+latex_header: \usepackage[american]{babel}
#+latex_header: \usepackage[autopunct,style=american]{csquotes}
#+latex_header:
\usepackage[notes,autopunct=true,backend=biber]{biblatex-chicago}

This behavior has been consistent for me across different documents, and the
only common denominator is the presence of multiple sources. An identical
set-up in LaTeX does not produce this behavior. Has anyone experienced this
bug? I could not find any other discussions of this issue. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Thank you.