Filter for HTML footnotes?

From: M . ‘quintus’ Gülker
Subject: Filter for HTML footnotes?
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 16:40:16 +0100

Dear list,

I recently discovered export filters and found some useful applications
for them. For instance, the scientific domain I work in (law) uses
footnote citations, and in these footnotes we abbreviate some words
which would otherwise be written out in ordinary text, like name
particles. Since I use org-cite these footnotes are automatically
generated. So what I did was to write a filter which abbreviates these
words on export in footnotes. I added the filter function to both
org-export-filter-footnote-definition-functions and
org-export-filter-footnote-reference-functions and indeed, when I export
to LaTeX or ODT it does its job just fine. However, when I export to
HTML instead, it does not. When I looked at the text passed to the
filter when exporting as HTML, it turned out what the function receives
is not the content of the footnote, but only the markup for the footnote
number. That came a bit by surprise.

So, what is the correct way to target the content of a footnote in a
filter across backends?

Org mode version 9.5 (release_9.5-484-g98588e @
/home/quintus/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

  -quintus