Re: Bug: asynchronous export (org-mode 9.4.4, emacs 27.2)

From: M. Pger
Subject: Re: Bug: asynchronous export (org-mode 9.4.4, emacs 27.2)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 22:39:13 +0000

Ok, thanks a lot for your suggestions. It seems that the problem comes from
poly-org mode. I've followed the following steps (copy-paste from my notes,
sorry for the wording):

+ I double-check the version of org (9.5.2, ok) and I check the function
  =org-latex-export-to-pdf=. This is ok since the fix is there:
  #+begin_example
    (let ((outfile (org-export-output-file-name ".tex" subtreep)))
    (org-export-to-file 'latex outfile
      async subtreep visible-only body-only ext-plist
      #'org-latex-compile)))
  #+end_example

+ Same error as before when trying to asynchronously export: the =*Org Export
  Process*= buffer still gives ~Invalid read syntax: "#"~

+ However, I do these double-checks with my init file loaded. Contrary to ~emacs
  -Q~, when I use ~M-x toggle-debug-on-error~ no =*Backtrace*= buffer opens. I
  conclude that maybe something linked to my init file is interfering with the
  process, preventing the debugger to correctly capture the error.

+ I thus decide to remove everything from my init file (except ~(use-package
  org)~) and to try again. However, the issue is still there and the debugger
  does not detect it. I note that =poly-org= mode is still (automatically)
  loaded at startup, and I decide to use my other computer and to start with a
  brand new installation of emacs.

+ On this new emacs version, the only package I install is =org=, in order to
  get version 9.5.2. This time, it works: I am able to asynchronously export.

+ I have the impression that having =poly-org= mode installed could play a role
  in my problem. I thus decide to get the init file from my other computer and
  load it on my new installation of emacs, *except the =polymode= part*. And it
  actually works: I am able to asynchronously export.

+ As a final test, I include the =polymode= part of my init file, and restart
  Emacs. This time the asynchronous export process fails.

What I conclude from that (correct me if I am wrong): the issue should come from
=polymode= which, once installed, somehow modifies the standard org-export
function/process. I am going to report this issue on the polymode github.

Best,

MP