Re: ox-publish: Some starting problems

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: ox-publish: Some starting problems
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:32:02 +0700

On 09/03/2022 15:55, c.buhtz wrote:

1.
Is this mailing list the right place to discuss ox-publish related topics? The ox-publish.el only contains two e-mail addresses?

ox-publish.el belongs to the "core" part of Org mode, so this mail list is an appropriate place. There is a chance to get response from the Org maintainers. I do not follow stackexchange and reddit topics so I can tell nothing concerning probability to get some answer there.

3.
I use (setq org-export-with-broken-links t) with and without ":with-broken-links "mark"" to prevend ox-publish stopping when there are broken links. I swear and I also checked that there are only a few of them. But in the HTML output all links are gone. No links. No text for the links.

If you insist on setq than try
   (setq org-export-with-broken-links 'mark)
without :with-broken-links. You can get correct value using easy customization interface. It does not matter for `org-export-with-broken-links', but some custom variables have :set property, so the following may be generally better
   (custom-set-variables
    '(org-export-with-broken-links 'mark))

When specifying the publish project option, do not add quotes around "mark", the string (unlike the symbol) is considered as t. Unfortunately no warning is issued.

I tried to reproduce this in a minimal example with two new nodes. But for them the links are generated.

It seems, changing project options or global variables does not lead to updating of the files if the sources have not modified.

First I thought ox-publish has a problem with org-roam-v2 id-links. But the two new created nodes just for testing where working well. The older nodes (just 2 months old) also using id-links and where created with the same Emacs and org-roam version.

There is a known problem with id links. They may be broken if they lead to another file:
inkbottle. org-id with ox-html. Sat, 14 Aug 2021 00:28:35 +0200
https://list.orgmode.org/4617246.m1MCmUpgFQ@pluto/

4.
ox-publish ignores newlines. Two short lines in the org-file becomes one line in the HTML content.

I suppose, it is unrelated to ox-publish, it is behavior of ox (org-export) and org-element parser. Paragraphs are separated by empty lines. Likely you need some markup, e.g.
   #+begin_example
   #+end_example
block.

5.
I am not totally new to Emacs but quit fresh. So I have two questions about how to handle the documentation and help informations here. a) I tried to "descrbie" the mode "ox-publish". But Emacs only offers me an "describe-mode" which describe all currently existing nodes. There is nothing like "describe-mode MODENAME". How can I handle that?

org-mode is a mode, ox-publish maybe a package (actually unsure). Unfortunately e.g. `describe-package' C-h P org shows built-in version of org for me even though git main HEAD is actually loaded. It extracts some comments from the top of the source file.

b) I another thread I was pointed to https://orgmode.org/manual/Publishing-options.html . There is no description about the options they are only listed. This does not help me. Maybe there are some useful options that could solve some of my problems. But without description I am not able to decide or know.

That page specifies related global variable, so you can try `describe-variable' C-h v with the related name.

I do not know if you are familiar with GNU "info" https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/info/ that allows to read e.g. Org Manual in Emacs. There is a variable index https://orgmode.org/manual/Variable-Index.html but this case the entry leads to the "Export Settings" section already known to you.

Sometimes it is more convenient to search in the manual variant exported as a single HTML page https://orgmode.org/org.html

The last resort is reading source files.

6.
Is there a way to integrated backlinks into output?

Do you mean something specific to org-roam?