Re: bug-tracker: How to response/subscribe to a bug-thread

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: bug-tracker: How to response/subscribe to a bug-thread
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:31:08 +0700

On 09/03/2022 23:46, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:

There is a known bug that is also tracked on the "dashboard" (https://updates.orgmode.org/) as "Inconsistent handling of id: links to other file during publish".
https://list.orgmode.org/12368452.sVpYeFqCzH@pluto/

I was not subscribed to the list when this thread comes up. So I have no mail here I can reply-to. I can I answer to that thread?

There is a number of various mail list archives that allow to fetch particular message and to compose a reply to it. There are some minor bugs (they usually have workarounds), so I can not tell that it works really smooth.

Besides already mentioned public inbox instance:

Gmane archive is available though news:// or nntp:// protocols. You may setup a news reader, subscribe to the news group and fetch old messages or just access particular one by its Message-ID

    w3m -m 'nntp://news.gmane.io/12368452.sVpYeFqCzH@pluto'
w3m -m 'nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/12368452.sVpYeFqCzH@pluto'

"Official" (GNU) mail list archive has a reply button
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bmessage-id%3A12368452.sVpYeFqCzH@pluto&idxname=emacs-orgmode
but it is necessary to edit "To" field otherwise the response will be sent off-list to the author only. Unfortunately the In-Reply-To field of mailto: links there violates "RFC 6068 - The 'mailto' URI Scheme" due to missed angle brackets around Message-ID, so a mailer may skip it.

For bugs submitted to https://debbugs.gnu.org it is enough to keep subject with bug number when the message is sent to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or to send it to the mail address of the bug NNN@debbugs.gnu.org. Some efforts are required when you are at the HTML page with discussion of the bug and you intention is to respond namely with proper In-Reply-To. Unlike upstream https://bugs.debian.org/ , GNU version does not have "reply" links. It is possible to fetch particular message ("mbox" link), open it, and reply. Obstacles are ".mbox" extension instead of ".eml" despite correct MIME type "message/rfc866" in HTTP headers and necessity to edit "To" field since the downloaded message has only low-level service mail addresses.

So some attention is required to compose a well-formed response, but being subscribed to the mail list in advance is not a prerequisite.