Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-f

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:49:16 +0800

> It is up to you to choose at which level your prefer to optimize the
> code. And it is only my opinion (I do not insist) that benefits from
> changes in low level code might be much more significant. I like the
> idea of markers, but their current implementation is a source of pain.
>
>> (note that Nicolas did not use
>> markers to store boundaries of org elements).
>
> E.g. export-related code certainly does need markers. You experienced
> enough problems with attempts to properly invalidate cache when lower
> level is not supposed to provide appropriate facilities.

I understand your argument. However, I feel discouraged to contribute to
Emacs devel because, most of Org users will not benefit from such
contribution for a long time. Not until next several major versions of
Emacs will be released. So, I currently prefer to contribute some
backwards-compatible high-level code and leave Emacs core for future.

Best,
Ihor