Re: [BUG] Resolving idle clocks needs multiple keystrokes [9.5.2 (releas

From: Ignacio Casso
Subject: Re: [BUG] Resolving idle clocks needs multiple keystrokes [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-24-g668205 @ /home/ignacio/repos/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:08:54 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I don't know how closely it is related to your problem, but I've
> reported another issue revolving around the use of read-char for the
> prompt to resolve clocks.  See
> [[https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-02/msg00278.html]].
>
> Unfortunately I an not advanced enough in Elisp to know whether using
> another function than read-char would solve your problem as well as
> mine (maybe read-char-choice waits for a valid char, while resetting
> the idle timer ?), but it might be a hint. What do you think ?

The problem with `read-char-choice' is that it does not seem to have a
timeout argument. `read-char' has, and `org-clock-resolve' uses it to
update the prompt message with the current idle time every 45 seconds,
calling (read-char ... 45) in a loop until it returns non-nil. With
`read-char-choice' that would not be possible, and if
`org-clock-idle-time' was N, after the N idle minutes, the prompt would
appear saying something like "Emacs was idle for N minutes, what do you
want to do?", but M minutes later the message would still be the same
instead of replacing N with N+M.

The patch I sent already fixes the bug I reported anyway. For yours, I
suggest just wrapping `read-char' in `condition-case', unless someone
knows of some other appropriate function.