Re: Inconsistent handling of multi-line properties

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Inconsistent handling of multi-line properties
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:47:53 +0800

Greg Sullivan <gregs@sulliwood.org> writes:

> I would really like the ability to use the ":myProperty+: " to create
> multi-line properties for the org-export-taskjuggler exporter.
> However, the mentioned patch is quite large and mostly focused on headline
> caching, as far as I can tell.
> @Ihor or @Hanno, Is there a patch just to get the :myProperty+: syntax to
> work properly with org-element-property?

That patch has been merged. However, the part about merging
:myProperty+: into :myProperty: did not work as well as I thought
initially. Now, all the instances of :myProperty+: do get merged and can
be accessed via (org-element-property :MYPROPERTY+ element). However,
they are not merged into :myProperty: because it would interfere with
property inheritance.

Merging everything into :MYPROPERTY is possible, but it might break
third-party packages that do not expect element properties to be lists
(currently, most export backends assume element properties to be strings).
I am reluctant to work on this unless Nicolas displays a clear support of
such change.

An alternative could be modifying org-element-property or
org-export-get-node-property to support multiline properties.

Meanwhile, export backends might be changed to look into :PROPERTY+ in
addition to :PROPERTY. For org-export-taskjuggler, you may implement
this feature yourself. Note that org-export-taskjuggler is not a part of
Org core. It is in org-contrib and currently not maintained.

Best,
Ihor