Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:44:41 +0800

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Discourse is nice but I'm not favor of installing an instance for Org.
>
> Beginners often ask questions on reddit.com and stackoverflow.com (and
> perhaps elsewhere): perhaps some regular users of these websites could
> serve as "contributors stewards", redirecting interesting bug reports,
> patches or feature requests on this mailing list.

That's an unfortunate truth. reddit and stackoverflow require users to
run non-free JS to write comments. Discourse would provide a familiar
interface for beginners + not force them to use non-free JS. In
addition, there will be no risk to lose information or the annoying
reddit behaviour when no comments can be added to old posts.

> My gut feeling is that we should focus on making the mailing list more
> accessible for beginners, more useful for everyone before considering
> setting up another communication channel.
>
> I have a new version for Woof! (https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/woof) that I'd
> like to finalize and set up this month - let's see how this helps and
> reopen this topic in three or four months?

I do like the idea of Woof!. My main concern is that adding new features
to Woof! (like tagging threads, adding more categories, etc) is putting
even more load on you. I am not sure if Woof! can be on-par with
Discourse features given that you are the only contributor.

Best,
Ihor