Re: [RFC] DOCT: Declarative Org Capture Templates (easier template synta

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] DOCT: Declarative Org Capture Templates (easier template syntax)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 16:51:55 +0800

Mark Barton <mbarton98@gmail.com> writes:

> I was concerned about long term support and if I would be left with templates
> I would have to rewrite again, plus I was too busy at the time to adopt it
> and it stays in my list of TODOs that are not scheduled.

To clarify, I do not think that we need to switch to doct format of the
templates. The old format must be kept for backwards-compatibility.

>  That being said, I use org capture daily, but to the points you raise, I
> avoid changing or adding to to my capture templates.

There is not much problem with current format if you already have
working capture templates. They should keep working even if doct gets
merged.

The problem with current format reveals itself once you need to tweak
the existing templates or need to write new templates. doct makes things
much easier and much more readable.

Best,
Ihor