Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:21:05 -0400

chris <inkbottle007@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, 20 March 2022 20:44:50 CET Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 9:42 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > For citar, why not simply using ivy-bibtex? It supports org-cite, AFAIK.
>>
>> Not really; or rather minimally.
>
> I use `org-cite` with a very minimal configuration, and it works very well. I
> don't use `ivy` at all. I don't use `helm` at all. Those are very large
> framework and should not be forced to people. (I don't use `org-ref`.)

These days org-ref does not require helm or ivy, and it does not install
them. You can use the core library with any completion backend you want.
It uses vanilla completing-read.

org-ref does rely exclusively on bibtex-completion at this time. I have
not abstracted that out to allow pluggable alternatives like citar.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F