Re: [BUG] Agenda no longer works for timestamps inside properties drawer

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [BUG] Agenda no longer works for timestamps inside properties drawer [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-24-g668205 @ /home/ignacio/repos/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:10:40 -0700

On 3/22/22, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> lax - agenda may match anything date-looking (with or without brackets).
> A specialized regex agenda matcher with regex constructed using current
> agenda date.
>
> Maybe we can introduce a new agenda view? Or maybe a special agenda
> mode, similar to org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps?

over the years i have seen different opinions on contexts in which
tses [and links, not to make it more complex but to in principle
strive for some type of orthogonality iff discussion goes there]
should show up in agenda and where it should not.

[as a same page type of check, for tses we are talking about
"daily/weekly" which has different semantics from search agenda and
cannot be reproduced with search agenda via parameterization.]

another context [not to create controversy but also for in principle
orthogonality] is line comments, which some think should mean tses and
links therein should not show up in agenda and not fontify and not be
clickable [rule = "remove tses and links from org semantics and
fontification including agenda but not including certain org searchers
like org-occur-in-agend-files"], while others think should mean
"remove from all export" [use case: so you as author can document
exportable stuff inline using comments and still have your tses show
up in daily/weekly if you want that and have clickable links without
having those exposed to the recipient of the exported document, etc.].
links in line comments can be worked around with a bit of code, but
idk about tses.  some will want tses commentable.  some not.

your idea of expanding to other date-like things is an interesting
idea, and so is making an analogy with log mode.

another possibility is to satisfy the preferences users have expressed
[and those with n>1 needs] using a single variable that contains the
contexts that should show in daily/weekly agenda.  org uses multi-item
variables more frequently in recent years [e.g.
org-show-context-detail or visibility for sparse trees] which reduces
vars.  you might have had log mode items in mind, which is similar.

thus in principle it need not be a mode like log mode items, but could
be in agenda custom commnds.

i think a whole view [unlike log mode and tag filtering] might be
confusing to newcomers as [just as with sorting and log mode items and
allow COMMENT and allow ARCHIVE] the regular daily/weekly view is
parameterizable.

i know i got confused by the todo view, wondering if it was something
not creatable with parameterization.

so i would go for your second idea, or the var.  i do think different
preferences exist out there, some strong.

with one or the other, future defaults are trivially changed,
transparent/discoverble by user, and open to user change.

[one problem now being that users can be not merely surprised, but
unaware that stuff is missing from agenda.]