Re: Can't cite multiple sources with biblatex, autocites & autopunct

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Can't cite multiple sources with biblatex, autocites & autopunct
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:47:00 +0100

Hello,

Zac E <zac.endter@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your response! I have included a minimal example below.
> I am running Emacs 27.2 and Org-mode 9.6.

I have removed the relax macro from the output.

Does it fix your issue?

> ORG SOURCE
>
> #+latex_class: article
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[autopunct,style=american]{csquotes}
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[autopunct=true,autocite=footnote]{biblatex}
> #+cite_export: biblatex
>
> #+bibliography: example.bib
>
> With only one citation, the footnote is correctly moved outside of the
> period [cite:@example1]. With two citations, the footnote incorrectly
> remains within the punctuation [cite:@example1;@example2]. Lorem ipsum
> dolor sit amet.

Note this minimal example above cannot reproduce your issue because two
keys without a prefix cannot trigger a multicite form, here "autocites".
Hence, you would get

  ... the punctuation \autocite{example1,example2}. Lorem ipsum...

> ACTUAL LATEX OUTPUT
>
> With only one citation, the footnote is correctly moved outside of the
> period \autocite{example1}. With two citations, the autocites command
> is followed by a relax command, such that the footnote incorrectly
> remains within the punctuation in the output pdf
> \autocites{example1}{example2}\relax. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
>
> EXPECTED LATEX OUTPUT
>
> With only one citation, the footnote is correctly moved outside of the
> period \autocite{example1}. With two citations, the autocites command
> is followed by a relax command, such that the footnote incorrectly
> remains within the punctuation in the output pdf
> \autocites{example1}{example2}. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou