Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:30:59 +0700

On 24/03/2022 06:04, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Nicolas, concerning a new thread, I have an impression that you are
busy with over activities since you are participating in discussions
not so frequently. So I am unsure at which moment it is appropriate to
raise such question that otherwise may just be buried in the list
archive.

I don't see how my presence (or not) on the list relates to this. If
there's an idea worth a discussion, it should not be buried within
a thread.

It was you who implemented org-cite and org-element parser. John chose a direct and practical way. He defined multiple link types and got the working solution. A more elegant approach would require some extension of syntax, so your opinion is really important. For cross-references it might be "[ref/style...]" in additional to "[cite/style...]" or attributes specific to links.

Outside of Org, citations are links.

But we're on an Org mailing list so…

In respect to citations and cross-references Org is a tool to prepare documents for "outside of Org".

I think link attributes were discussed a couple of times on this ML
already. Nothing was implemented tho.

I do not remember such thread during last couple of years. I will try to search deeper and maybe will start another thread.

I'm not convinced Org should generalize this to any inline object,
either, mainly because it sounds messy. Of course, if you have an
idea on the subject, please share it.

In any case, this is another topic, neither related to citations nor to
cross-references.

"pageref", "nameref", "eqref", "autoref" (see https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/org-ref.org) may be values of the style attribute of a "[[name]]" link instead of link type as it is done in org-ref.

For citations some values may be passed to specific citation backend
overriding default value derived from style.

In that situation, you can define a new style specific to the citation
back-end.

Sometimes an ad-hoc adjustment at the particular place is more convenient than even file-local property.