Re: Drop defadvice from Org

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Drop defadvice from Org
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 09:20:10 -0400

> i was ok with the scold for a long time about (` thing but my reactin
> time slowed significantly and that was trivial-er.

The (` transition was not handled ideally, to be honest: we declared
them obsolete very early but only started emitting warnings much later,
so the transition period have seemed short for those who only learned
about it when the warning appeared.

> 2040 is when i will begin figuring out or finding some long lost
> convert thing, and then decide to do something about my carefully
> self-cargo-culted advice.  fortunately, debian on the trailing edge
> will give me a bit more.

Also, note that ever since `nadvice.el` appeared, `advice.el` was
"reimplemented" as a layer on top of `nadvice.el`, so when it finally
gets removed from Emacs, I'd expect that `advice.el` could be added to
GNU ELPA for those who want to keep using it (typically because of some
old and unmaintained package).
[ The same might happen with `cl.el`.  ]

        Stefan