Re: TOC and latex memoir class

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: TOC and latex memoir class
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 07:21:49 +0000

Hi Steve,

Steve Downey writes:

> In order to place the table of contents without a section name
> "Contents" the memoir class uses \tableofcontents* rather than
> \tableofcontents.
> However, `org-latex-toc-command` is documented as:
>   "LaTeX command to set the table of contents, list of figures, etc.
> This command only applies to the table of contents generated with
> the toc:nil option, not to those generated with #+TOC keyword."
> Which is confusing in two ways, first that toc:nil doesn't generate a
> table of contents, and that it doesn't seem to provide any way of
> getting the string to be used?
>
> As a workaround, I could use the latex command directly, but that
> means not having it available in, for example, an html export.
>
> Is there a workaround I'm missing?

One possible workaround would be to define a macro with a conditional:
if exporting to LaTeX, returns the string 'toc:nil'; otherwise, returns
'toc:t'. And the LaTeX command can be added via a export snippet.
Something like this:

#+MACRO: mytoc (eval (if (eq org-export-current-backend 'latex) "#+OPTIONS:
toc:nil" "#+OPTIONS: toc:t"))

{{{mytoc}}}

@@latex:\tableofcontents*@@

* Heading 1