Re: Removing obsolete function `org-truely-invisible-p'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Removing obsolete function `org-truely-invisible-p'.
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 13:41:53 -0500

On 05 Apr 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the commit message - it is
what you commonly see in git log.

Having something like

commit-hash Mark function obsolete & fix spelling of its name

in git log is confusing because it is unclear what the commit is
changing. If you look at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/log/
then you can see that we generally follow certain style of the
commit messages: changed-file-or-library: What is changed
Also see https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#commit-messages

Oh, it was clear you were referring to the commit message -- what I now realize is that you were referring to the first line of the commit message (the summary line).

Unfortunately, the 'CONTRIBUTE' file at the top level of the Org Mode source tree gives incomplete guidance on commit messages (it just says to follow what Emacs does, so I did that). I didn't realize that https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#commit-messages has further, slightly different guidance.

Thanks. I'm happy to adhere to the local standards, once I figure out what they are :-).

I think we have a misunderstanding here. Unused functions are not
necessarily obsolete. For example, we have org-list-to-texinfo, which is not used anywhere in the codebase, but could be useful for developers.

org-compat.el contains functions that are planned for removal in future (and obsolete for the time being), obsolete function/variable names, and
compatibility functions.

As I mentioned in my previous email, I am slightly reluctant to remove org-truely-invisible-p. It means that it should remain available and no plans to remove it should be made (unless there are multiple devs/users who prefer removal). Hence, the function should stay in org-macs.el. org-macs.el is meant to store general-purpose functions that can be
useful for development of the whole Org mode ecosystem.

If we decide that org-truely-invisible-p stays in org-macs, we should
fix the issue with its name. Renaming requires creating obsolete
function name alias in org-compat.el to make sure that nothing gets broken unexpectedly for people who use org-truely-invisible-p with its
current name.

Hope I clarified my logic.

You did!

FYI, I do not know an easy way to search mailing list archives by
Message-ID. Message-ID itself does not even provide information which
mailing list it is referring to (maybe it is e.g. Emacs devel).
That's why I prefer links - they can often be found using archive.org if
nothing.

On the other hand, extra information would not heart. In addition to
link.

Makes sense, yup. Actually, I usually include the link -- I just didn't think of it in this case because I rarely visit the Org Mode mailing list archives (unlike the Emacs Devel archives, which I often do visit, and therefore my commits in Emacs always include the link when referring to a mailing list post).

A revised patch is attached. Now it's so simple that I think the commit message doesn't need to point to the mailing list discussion anyway. Review welcome.

Best regards,
-Karl