Re: [BUG] error when saving a new capture [9.5.2 (9.5.2-g971eb6 @ /home/

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] error when saving a new capture [9.5.2 (9.5.2-g971eb6 @ /home/torysa/emacs/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 09:45:40 +1000

webdev@toryanderson.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>      https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.
>
> I was just saving a capture, no link or anything else. It bound up the thread
> until I could C-g out of it.
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.29, cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2021-09-01
> Package: Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-g971eb6 @
> /home/torysa/emacs/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

My first suggestion would be to do an Emacs upgrade. Your running a
pre-release version (Emacs 28.0.50) which for a development version is
extremely old (over 6 months and isn't even one of the release candidate
builds for Emacs 28). Note also that Emacs 28.1 has been released.

The second thing I would do following upgrade is to try and reproduce
the issue using emacs -Q.

Finally, you need to provide more specific details. In order for anyone
to help or debug any issue, the first critical step is to be able to
reproduce it. As it stands now, there is nowhere near sufficient
information to do that. The best thing you can do to help is try to
reproduce the issue in a default configuration (i.e. emacs -Q), which
will help ensure the issue has not been introduced by additional
packages you have installed or any customisation you have done and
providing a minimal recipe to reproduce the issue. Generally, if someone
is able to provide a simple recipe which reliably reproduces the issue,
the issue will be resolved very quickly. If on the other hand, nobody can
reproduce the issue, it probably won't ever be fixed.