Re: Removing obsolete function `org-truely-invisible-p'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Removing obsolete function `org-truely-invisible-p'.
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 11:57:50 -0500

On 07 Apr 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

Unfortunately, the 'CONTRIBUTE' file at the top level of the Org Mode source tree gives incomplete guidance on commit messages (it just says to follow what Emacs does, so I did that). I didn't realize that https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#commit-messages has further, slightly different guidance.

Could you elaborate?

We have the following in etc/CONTRIBUTE:

* Main contribution rules
See [[https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html][worg/org-contribute]] for guidance on how to contribute effectively.

Sure, I'll elaborate.

The "..." in your quoted text above contains, among other things, this item:

- Org mode no longer uses ChangeLog entries to document changes. Instead, special commit messages are used, as described in the `CONTRIBUTE' file in the main Emacs repository. That item is just one in a list of several items in section 4 (which is under the top-level heading "Main contribution rules"). At the very end of the "Main contribution rules" top-level section comes this line:

See [[https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html][worg/org-contribute]] for guidance on how to contribute effectively.

So when I went searching in CONTRIBUTE specifically for guidance on commit messages, I searched for the string "commit message". That took me to the item I quote above, which states pretty clearly that the Emacs guidelines apply here. It does not state that there is any other source of guidance about commit messages, nor does it say anything to indicate that Org Mode has commit message guidelines that are a superset of (i.e., more complicated than) Emacs's guidelines. The string "commit message" does not appear anywhere else in Org Mode's CONTRIBUTE file.

So, naturally, after I read that item, I assumed that I was ready to write the commit message, since I already knew Emacs's guidelines.

Meanhwile, the https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html page is a bit long, and it starts out with a bunch of very generic guidance that is not useful to developer contributing a code patch. (I'm not saying that material isn't useful, by the way. I think it's good to have it there. I'm just saying it doesn't provide anything useful to one particular demographic. But it's still good because someone might be making some other kind of contribution.)

In that page, the part about "Commit messages and ChangeLog entries" starts about three-quarters of the way down. Virtually none of the material preceding it had anything to do with my circumstances, and since I had just seen very clear guidance (in CONTRIBUTE) about how to write commit messages, I timed out before making it that far.

A good solution to this would be to revise the item in CONTRIBUTE to make it clear that there is special Org Mode guidance on commit messages that goes beyond what Emacs itself wants. I was too tired to go through the process to contribute that change though, so instead I wrote this long email :-).
Thanks! Merged as d80aa2776 to main.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
-Karl