Re: #+latex_header blocks, or, managing lots of LaTeX headers

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: Re: #+latex_header blocks, or, managing lots of LaTeX headers
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 08:21:29 +0530

For a major project like this, I would just put these in a separate file, and include it using #+INCLUDE:

Vikas

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 06:37, William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:
I have another question related to managing a book I'm doing building for export
to LaTeX:  what do people do for managing all of the headers?

I have about 30 #+latex_header lines in the project I'm working on, and I'm
still just working on it as a basic article.  When I'm ready to do more
formatting I'll use the memoir class and then there will be more commands.  I
imagine some of you have huge headers with custom commands and more.

It would be great if there was a way to manage these lines as LaTeX, for example
in a "#+begin_export latex" block, but as far as I can tell, there isn't a way
(unless once again I overlooked something).

The idea came up about seven years ago, and Nicolas mentioned the possibility of
a "#+begin_export latex :header t" implementation.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-05/msg00538.html

It's possible to add a new class to the org-latex-classes variable, and in the
documentation on it I see there are options ([NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES],
[NO-PACKAGES], [NO-EXTRA]) that allow one to trim away all the default headers.
That makes it easy to take away, but not to add in lines I want, short of
managing them in my init file.

What sorts of practices do people have for managing lots of LaTeX headers?
Juan Manuel Macías, you mentioned something like this---literate programming in
Org to export LaTeX source---may I ask how you do it?

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton