Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:59:08 +0800

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> Just to clarify, I don't believe the discussion is to add such styles to
> the included org-cite processors (which already support such
> functionality), but rather to allow it, for example for third party ones;
> say a hypothetical org-ref one.

Sure. However, the discussed problem should be supported by Org core one
way or another.

Consider a third-party processor that introduces citet* style.
Then, some user happens to encounter the discussed edge case with
*bold [cite:citet*:@key}

If the third-party processor does not also have citet*/ variant, what
can the user do? Be stuck?

>From Org's point of view, we listed 2 possible approaches:

1. Allow unicode ⋆ star in citation styles
2. Allow ordinary * star in citation styles + Make oc.el recognise
   style* as an alias to style*/ + make org-lint warn about the edge
   case.

Best,
Ihor