Re: Agenda without todos only if there is no other timestamp

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Agenda without todos only if there is no other timestamp
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 19:06:47 -0400

TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> writes:

> On 2022-04-05 04:48, Karl Voit wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've got following custom agenda for exporting:
>> | ("n" "no TODO events +180d"
>> |  ((agenda "no TODO events +180d"
>> |           ((org-agenda-span 180)
>> |            (org-agenda-time-grid nil)
>> |            (org-agenda-entry-types '(:timestamp :sexp))
>> |            (org-agenda-skip-function
>> |             '(or
>> |               (org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'todo 'any);; skip if any
>> TODO state is found
>> |               (org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'category "errors");; skip
>> if any TODO state is found
>> |               (my-skip-tag "lp")
>> |           )))))
>> |  nil (,(concat my-org-files-path "agenda_180d_filtered_raw.html")))
>> (don't mind the stupid name - I may fix this as it is misleading
>> here)
>> This results in an HTML file that contains my appointments without
>> the tasks.
>> Unfortunately, I sometimes seem to schedule appointments within open
>> todos such as:
>> | * NEXT talk with Steve about the project X
>> | SCHEDULED: <2022-04-05 Tue>
>> |
>> | - [X] ask him for a time-slot
>> | - we settled for: <2022-04-05 Tue 14:00-15:00>
>> Of course, those appointments are lost in my agenda export as
>> specified above. This is a bummer and I want to fix this somehow.
>> Tasks should be omitted only if there is no other time-stamp than
>> deadline or scheduled.
>> org-agenda-skip-if lists:
>> | scheduled     Check if there is a scheduled cookie
>> | notscheduled  Check if there is no scheduled cookie
>> | deadline      Check if there is a deadline
>> | notdeadline   Check if there is no deadline
>> | timestamp     Check if there is a timestamp (also deadline or
>> scheduled)
>> | nottimestamp  Check if there is no timestamp (also deadline or
>> scheduled)
>> | regexp        Check if regexp matches
>> | notregexp     Check if regexp does not match.
>> | todo          Check if TODO keyword matches
>> | nottodo       Check if TODO keyword does not match
>> How is it possible to accomplish this? I think this would require
>> something like "Check if there is a timestamp (except deadline or
>> scheduled)" which isn't available yet.
>> Any ideas on that one?
>
> I think you will need to write a custom ~org-agenda-skip-function~.

I realized there is probably an even easier way (no custom ELisp
required), simply by creating a separate child heading for the meeting,
which should then show up.  Assuming I am following you correctly, how
about:

#+begin_src org

* PROJECT Project X
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY:             P:X
  :END:

** PROJECT Discuss 'topic' with Steve

*** DONE Ask Steve for a time-slot

*** Meeting with steve
<2022-04-05 Tue 14:00>--<2022-04-05 Tue 15:00>

#+end_src

N.B. the indentation levels.

Couple notes here:

1. If you set CATEGORY on the parent, and have enabled inheritance, the
'P:X' should appear on left side in your agenda, at the time of this
meeting, giving context.  The 'P:' convention is just what I use to
denote a Project (as opposed to an Area).

2. I follow GTD here, where anything with more subtasks is itself also
considered another 'project'.  You don't have to.  In fact one of my
todo keywords is actually PROJECT.

3. I guess you could use SCHEDULED just as well, but if you carefully
read the manual, this is not the intent of SCHEDULED.  An appointment
(like this) should simply be a time slot (as I showed above).  You can
of course do whatever you like.  :)

I have included some things here that I might do which are not strictly
necessary to solving your problem, but hopefully you can adapt this to
your needs.

Cheers,
TRS-80