Re: org-startup-folded does not work with directory local variables

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-startup-folded does not work with directory local variables
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 22:46:56 +0800

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Ihor> This is no different. org-startup-folded controls loading of Org
> mode.
>     Ihor> However, Emacs applies directory-local variables and file-local
>     Ihor> variables _after_ loading Org mode. Org cannot do much about it
> without
>     Ihor> hacking Emacs defaults.
>
> Weʼre in agreement there. My point is that itʼs not a bug (although I
> guess you could ask for a feature to apply local/directory variables
> before applying the mode

It's not exactly a bug, but feature request to Emacs is exactly what I
was implying.

> , but in this case thereʼs an easy
> workaround).

I am not sure which workaround you are referring to.
Setting org-startup-folded globally? On per-file basis? the former is
global and will apply to broader scope than a directory-local variable.
The latter only works in a single file (and works instead of file-local
variable).

Best,
Ihor