Re: Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Google Docs now supports MarkDown, but not Org syntax
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:41:11 -0400

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Google Docs now supports MarkDown, not Org syntax :(.
>
> https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2022/03/compose-with-markdown-in-google-docs-on.html
>
>   -k.

There is a Free Software (AGPL3.0) alternative to Google Docs called
HedgeDoc.  We have used it a little bit (within Armbian project) and I
think it's pretty neat! [0]

>From their web page:

> HedgeDoc
> The best platform to write and share markdown.
>
> HedgeDoc (formerly known as CodiMD) is an open-source, web-based,
> self-hosted, collaborative markdown editor.
>
> You can use it to easily collaborate on notes, graphs and even
> presentations in real-time. All you need to do is to share your
> note-link to your co-workers and they’re ready to go.

Of course it does not do everything that Google Docs does.  But for
common use-case of simple documents, it works quite well for
collaboration.

Unfortunately, HedgeDoc does not support Org Mode markdown, either.  But
at least, in this case, thanks to F/LOSS, the possibility exists (at
least in theory) to add it.

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] Even though I personally prefer Org over MD by quite a huge margin,
MD is what the Armbian project uses, so, 'when in Rome...'