Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph unexpectedly creates list items [9.5.3 (9.5

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-fill-paragraph unexpectedly creates list items [9.5.3 (9.5.3-g69c588 @ /Users/james/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5.3/)]
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 19:10:52 +0800

J. P. Ascher <jpa4q@virginia.edu> writes:

> This is a bug that I fixed locally, but I'm not up to speed on
> contributions or your code style, and your code base is fairly
> complicated.
>
> I contribute my solution in case it would be of broader use.

Thanks for the report and the proposed solution!
If you need any advice about Org code base, feel free to ask this list.

> `One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen 1.
> fourteen`
>
> Filling that line with fill-column 72 results in:
>
> `One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen
> 1. fourteen`

I tried hard to reproduce your issue, but I am unable to get the
behaviour you report using the latest stable version of Org (bugfix:
f8bb41461), the latest dev version (main), and the Org version built
into Emacs 28.

Could you create steps to reproduce the problem starting from emacs -Q?
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

> Another example, with ox-pandoc (I believe pandoc is slightly more
> capacious in its list definitions) this will also trigger a new line:
>
> `One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen A.
> fourteen`
>
> Filling with fill-column 72 results in:
>
> `One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen
> A. fourteen`

Note that ox-pandoc is not a part of Org. Could you submit the bug
report to ox-pandoc author?

Best,
Ihor