bug#55342: 29.0.50; org-cite-basic--get-field: Wrong value for ENTRY-OR-

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: bug#55342: 29.0.50; org-cite-basic--get-field: Wrong value for ENTRY-OR-KEY: nil
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 12:52:52 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 17:41:32 -0400
>>
>> Exporting an Org file with citations on Emacs 29 now throws the error
>> "Wrong value for ENTRY-OR-KEY: nil". This error can be reproduced with
>> the Org version shipped with Emacs on the master branch.
>
> Shouldn't this be reported to Org developers first?

It has been.
However, part of the problem lies in the bibtex-map-entries:

          ;; If we have invalid entries, ensure that we have forward
          ;; progress so that we don't infloop.
          (if (= (point) prev)
              (forward-line 1)

The code above always skips a bibtex entry starting at bob.
Hence, the provided example bibliography is parsed as empty, which is
not expected by Org.

While handling empty bibfiles should be fixed on Org side, the current
behaviour of bibtex-map-entries should indeed be fixed on Emacs side.

Best,
Ihor