Re: Org-cite/Citar cannot recognize neither biblatex nor natbib

From: Alessandro Bertulli
Subject: Re: Org-cite/Citar cannot recognize neither biblatex nor natbib
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:20:42 +0200

Hi,

I think I spotted the problem. It's difficult to be sure, but
apparently, since version 4.31, latexmk automatically detects and run
biber as a citation engine (see this post
https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/231351/259874). In fact, in the latexmk
man page, it is said to use the option -bibtex to use BibTeX.

Indeed, if I try to run "latexmk -pdf -bibtex -f" (the -f option is
needed due to some errors given by whitespaces in the citations), it all
works fine. From my point of view, the problem here is that the variable
org-LaTeX-pdf-process doesn't track any of this!
+ If the variable cite_export is set to basic or to csl, the formatting
is external to LaTeX, so no problem.
+ If it is set to biblatex, then biber is automatically called by
latexmk
+ If it is set to natbib, LaTeX needs BibTeX to be called, but it is
not!

So I'd say this is a bug of the org-LaTeX-pdf-process variable. Should
it be buffer-local, and set when exporting? This is not something I'm
expert of, to be honest. As I was saying, using AuCTeX there's no
problem, because the compilation command is an elisp function that
checks which one of the two is needed. May that be helpful?

Alessandro