Re: \minus entity and LaTeX export

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: \minus entity and LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 17:13:55 +0700

On 14/05/2022 13:30, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

       "** Science et al."
-     ("minus" "\\minus" t "−" "-" "-" "−")
+     ("minus" "-" t "−" "-" "-" "−")

Should it be "\textminus" instead? I never used it but my expectation
that it was added for text mode outside of equations: \minus1. It
required \usepackage{textcomp} in the past, but it seems it is not the
issue any more, so the symbol is available out of the box. I was not
following that changes in LaTeX so I may miss something.

\textminus appears to work without textcomp. However, I am not sure if it
should be used instead of math version.

Timothy tried texlive-2022, I had 2019 installed, users of old versions may add \usepackage{textcomp}.

Look at the attached screenshot where I tried to compare how \textminus
vs. $-$ would look inside a document. I find the math version to be more
visually appealing. Of course, we can always change to \textminus if
people more familiar with typography jump in and ask for the change.

I am a bit lazy to check what font and what codepoint is used in each case.

From my point of view, the correct way to type negative numbers is \(-1\), not \(-\)1. TeX math mode sets proper spaces around the character, e.g. \(1 - 1\) has larger spaces around. I considered \minus as something special for cases when a user has reasons to avoid math, e.g. to avoid MathJax or images when a document contains only a few of simple expressions.