Bug: ob-R.el breaks when :session is specified

From: Christian Heinrich
Subject: Bug: ob-R.el breaks when :session is specified
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 08:00:57 +0200

Hi there,

I got back to an org file after upgrading to the latest release of org-mode and
tried executing the
contained R source blocks. Unfortunately, emacs got stuck in the execution and
was blocked; I had to
exit using C-g.

Here's a minimal example src block that causes emacs to get stuck:

#+begin_src R :results output :session *R* :exports both
  a <- 10
#+end_src

R itself does start and the code is also executed correctly. However, the
output from that session
is apparently not returned to emacs or the buffer.

When removing the :session argument it executes and returns as expected.

When bisecting this issue, I found that this commit causes it:
ac8c009e006197d2dad226dbe822d450aec23d23

    lisp/ob-R.el: Fix session output with substrings matching prompts

Reverting it fixes the issue for earlier release (9.5.3) as well as for the
current main branch.

The (with-current-buffer session ... ) somehow seems to break it for me, but I
am unsure why no one
else here seems to experience this as the commit is from 2020?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Christian