Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: I can't set dabbrev to respect the writen case
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:52:09 -0700

looks interesting.

i like ido and i like hippie-expand.

pointless comment: i wonder if normal folk cannot keep up with all the
completion stuff?

of course it's indicative of a burgeoning ecosystem, and there are
probably sensible reasons for all of it.

i could not even systematize the major packages in some kind of
outline or so, much less know their uses, or even list them.

i recently found out something is used in org but have no idea where
it would be used.  i think mastering emacs.

where you complete [buffer, minibuffer, shell mode commands, maybe
other stuff, some combination].  whether emacs default completion is
harnessed.  where emacs default completion even can be used
[everywhere?].

what /versions/ of emacs are suitable for default completion.  in how
many frameworks can one use dabbrev?  which are composable.  which are
likely to be supported in future [e.g. popular]. which have e.g.
ido-clever-match cleverness?

i got to the point where i figured out that company is for at least
buffer and does not harness default completion and is idk, maybe
incompatible with the new composable orthogonal things.

i use ido with ido-hacks [harnesses default completion] and
ido-clever-match for minibuffer, totally punt on shell mode with bad
window management [can't keep up with the new alist thing either] and
no semantics, and hippie expand.

i was able to reject ivy and helm for my purposes, other stuff sounds
intriguing, but would take forever to keep track of.

not asking for advice.  just sorta kinda wondering how much effort
informed folk put into keeping track.

[just realized most of this thread is ot for org mode, so op might get
help on emacs list if we're not useful enough.]

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com