Trouble producing nicely aligned org tables from emacs-jupyter code bloc

From: Richard Stanton
Subject: Trouble producing nicely aligned org tables from emacs-jupyter code blocks using latest org version
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:05:53 -0700

I’m running Emacs 28.1 under macOS 12.4 and want to create tables from Python
code blocks that can be exported to either LaTeX or HTML. The simplest way to
do this seems to be to generate the output as an org table, and using the
built-in version of org (9.4.6 (9.4.6-798-g738759.dirty-elpaplus @
/Users/stanton/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210929/)), this works fine
using either a python or emacs-jupyter code block:

#+begin_src jupyter-python
[
    ["Wide a", "b", "c"],
    None,
    [1, 2, 3],
    [4, 5, 6],
    None,
    [7, 8, 9]
]
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| Wide a | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
|      1 | 2 | 3 |
|      4 | 5 | 6 |
|--------+---+---|
|      7 | 8 | 9 |

#+begin_src python
return [
    ["Wide a", "b", "c"],
    None,
    [1, 2, 3],
    [4, 5, 6],
    None,
    [7, 8, 9]
]
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| Wide a | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
|      1 | 2 | 3 |
|      4 | 5 | 6 |
|--------+---+---|
|      7 | 8 | 9 |

To use the latest version of org, I change just two lines in my init.el from

(straight-use-package '(org :type built-in))
(straight-use-package '(org-contrib :type built-in))

(straight-use-package '(org :type git :repo
"https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git";))
(straight-use-package '(org-contrib :type git :repo
"https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib”))

Having done this, the python block still works fine, but the horizontal lines
in the jupyter-python block are no longer properly aligned with the text:

#+begin_src jupyter-python
[
    ["Wide a", "b", "c"],
    None,
    [1, 2, 3],
    [4, 5, 6],
    None,
    [7, 8, 9]
]
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| Wide a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
|---+---+---|
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

#+begin_src python
return [
    ["Wide a", "b", "c"],
    None,
    [1, 2, 3],
    [4, 5, 6],
    None,
    [7, 8, 9]
]
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| Wide a | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
|      1 | 2 | 3 |
|      4 | 5 | 6 |
|      7 | 8 | 9 |

By the way, the org version loaded this time is 9.5.3 (9.5.3-g277897 @
/Users/stanton/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/).

The table exports OK, but isn’t much fun to look at in the org file itself.

Since I like to use emacs-jupyter, any suggestions would be appreciated. I know
this worked fine just a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

Richard Stanton