Re: [tip] Export and open a PDF in Android via Termux

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [tip] Export and open a PDF in Android via Termux
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:01:57 +0000

Eric S Fraga writes:

> Same with me.  I have to have a smartphone as our institution made the
> decision to remove all landlines and have all staff use MS Teams as our
> work "phone".  I use termux to give me access to Emacs + org so that I
> at least get some real use out of the "smart"phone.

Smartphones are the opium of the 21st century... And worst of all, they
will become the new identity cards. For example, until recently I could
do transactions with my bank through its website. But now it is
mandatory to have a smartphone and download an application, of course
proprietary.

Anyway, termux and Emacs, without a physical keyboard, is torture. I
usually connect a compact mechanical keyboard that I have for my laptop.

By the way, I've noticed how easy it is to write Elisp functions that
call Termux commands from Emacs. I recently wrote this to send SMS (you
can enter the phone number directly or choose a contact saved in BBDB
data base, if you use BBDB). To see the list of contacts it works better
if you use also some completion framework like ivy or helm:

(defun send-sms ()
  (interactive)
  (save-window-excursion (bbdb ".+"))
  (let* ((tlf (if (yes-or-no-p "Enter a contact: ")
                  (let ((record (bbdb-get-records "Contact: ")))
                    (aref
                     (car (aref (car record) 5)) 1))
                (read-from-minibuffer "Phone number: ")))
         (sms (read-from-minibuffer "Texto del SMS: "))
         (cmd (format "termux-sms-send -n %s %s" tlf sms)))
    (call-process-shell-command cmd)))

Best regards,

Juan Manuel