Re: [BUG] Let org-latex-compile fall back on org-latex-compiler as the d

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Let org-latex-compile fall back on org-latex-compiler as the default instead of "pdflatex" [9.6 (9.6-??-4f0f24447 @ /home/dan/.emacsen/doom-emacs/.local/straight/build-29.0.50/org/)]
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:26:20 +0800

daanturo <daanturo@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/22/22 10:42, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Can you provide more details on the problem?
>> `org-latex-compile' relies on `org-latex--insert-compiler' that is
>> called by `org-latex-template'. So, your org-latex-compiler
>> customization should be obeyed.
>
> Sorry, I was a problem on my side, the file where I test has
> `org-latex-compiler-file-string' set to nil as a local variable.

Note that `org-latex-compiler-file-string' must not be set to nil. It is
not considered a valid value and causes undefined behavior.

> But IMO, falling back to the customized `org-latex-compiler' instead of
> "pdflatex" should be intuitive.

Not necessarily. If org-latex-compiler is not a member of
org-latex-compilers, we need some sane fallback. Moreover, apart from
org-latex-compiler variable, the compiler can be set locally in buffer
or locally in the subtree. Either way, it is not necessarily clear which
fallback is reasonable. I'd go as far as throwing an error instead of
using "pdflatex", but alas, we already have the existing behavior and
changing it without strong justification can break things for other
users.

Docstring of org-latex-compiler:

>>> Must be an element in org-latex-compilers or the empty quote.
>>> Can also be set in buffers via #+LATEX_COMPILER.  See also
>>> org-latex-compiler-file-string.

Best,
Ihor

P.S. You dropped org mailing list from CC. Please, use "reply all" when
replying to the Org mailing list messages in future.