Re: About 'inline special blocks'

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: About 'inline special blocks'
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 10:51:57 +0800

Hi Tim,

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> But that is an abuse of direct formatting, which I think should always be
>> avoided, especially in a format-agnostic environment like Org, which is
>> more of a logician than a typesetter :-)
>
> I think this is a really important point. Whenever we add formatting
> specific directives, we always end up in a somewhat uncertain situation
> with respect to the other back ends. I also feel that in-line blocks
> which support large and complex formatting configuration really defeat
> the purpose of an in=line block (which I feel should be kept relatively
> simple). I also find complex constructs of this form really degrades the
> readability of source documents.

To me, this is another reason for comment and #+attr_X lines not to break
paragraphs, as then we can just re-use #+attr_X lines.

E.g.
┌────
│ Hi there look at
│ #+attr_X: :prop val
│ inline_mark{some content}
│ and now continuing the paragraph...
└────

As mentioned previously, this would also be rather nice for comments in
paragraphs and also applying attributes to a link in a paragraph, i.e.
┌────
│ I'm a big fan of the
│ #+attr_html: :title Visit the Org homepage
│ [[https://orgmode.org/][Org]]
│ project.
└────

All the best,