Opening org-cite links with different application

From: Alessandro Bertulli
Subject: Opening org-cite links with different application
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:52:28 +0200

Hi all!

I'm keeping a journal of my research activity with org-cite, and
together with citar and vertico, it works great. I have a question
though.

How can I make Org open the PDF file of a resource, using an external
application?

Let me explain: with the point on a org-cite link, pressing C-c C-o asks
me for the resource to open. Selecting the PDF file opens it with
DocView. I want instead to open it with an external PDF viewer
(specifically, Sioyek). But I can't make it do so! Changing
org-file-apps works only when I open "file:" type links. Apparently,
org-cite links don't read that value.

So I'm asking, particularly to org-cite people: is there a way to do so?

Thanks for your time and your patience.

Bertulli