Re: Opening org-cite links with different application

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Opening org-cite links with different application
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 22:21:15 +0700

On 25/05/2022 21:10, Alessandro Bertulli wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the best way to do so, but it worked for me by
using a lambda:

(setq citar-file-open-function '(lambda (file)
          (async-shell-command (format-message "sioyek \"%s\"" file))))

First of all, it is unsafe. File names for papers downloaded from various sources may have enough fancy characters including double quotes, etc. having special meaning for shell.

Use at least `shell-quote-argument' instead of adding double quotes.

Depending on your OS I suggest to have a look at the implementation of `browse-url-xdg-open', `browse-url-default-macosx-browser', `browse-url-default-windows-browser' for an example how to start external viewer process.