Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 17:27:20 +0200

Hi guys,

I was playing with org-capture today, and it strike me that it could be used as
a simple and lightweight alternative to create GUIs for user options, somewhat
resembling the use of well-known hydra/transient or built-in help macro or easy
menu.

I would like to propose a small 'feature/change' to org-capture templates, to
inlude a new target: 'exec'. It should be followed by a function to be
executed.

I believe that this is a simple change that does not intrude on anything else in
org-capture, you can see the attached patch. The goal is to just circumwent the
createion of capture buffer, bookmark and other processing done by org-capture
etc. However there might be things I am not aware of, so if someone have more
insight, it is welcomed to hear.

There is a small illustration in the attached patch as well.

The error handling could probably be much better, so I would like to hear
opinion and suggestion how can I improve it.

best regards
/arthur