Re: [tip] org-publish to work with (very) large books

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [tip] org-publish to work with (very) large books
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 11:39:37 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> I am not sure if I understand correctly. Do you mean that you only
> preview the book parts you are currently working on via latexmk -pvc?
> What kind of more control are you referring to?

The -pvc flag means that if latexmk detects any modification to any
document involved in the current job (a subdocument, the .sty file, a
.bib file, or whatever), it reruns the appropriate builds to bring the
pdf up to date, and it only stops when everything is up to date. I can
focus that action on parts of the book by commenting or uncommenting
elements in the master file.

The moment one breaks down a large piece of work into specialized parts,
one gains more control over that piece of work. And org-publish helps
manage all of that. It is about managing a large book as a website (via
org-publish). In short, the combination of org-publish, projectile and
latexmk is quite productive for me in this type of work.

Anyway, as they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, I have
made this short example video. This is a dictionary I produced a year
ago. Each dictionary entry has its own separate bibliographic list, so I
had to manage more than 100 separate bib files. I have all these files
inside an Org document, and I create them using org-babel-tangle. The
video shows editing a field in a bib file. I've removed the build time
from the video, as the entire book is almost a thousand pages long.

https://cloud.disroot.org/s/PiSaHqWZr25GfJY

Best regards,

Juan Manuel