Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 21:35:03 +0700

On 27/05/2022 19:17, Arthur Miller wrote:
Ihor Radchenko writes:

Is there any reason why you dislike transient (now part of Emacs core)?

It is not about me disliking transient, I am sure it is a great library. It is
more about simplicity and efficiency. Entire org-capture is ~2/3 of the size of
transient alone, and as an org user I have org-mode loaded almost always, while
I don't have transient loaded, since I am using magit very, very rarely, which I
believe is the only consumer of transient in my Emacs. So it is more about
lightness and efficiency.

'(("key1" "label1" exec (lambda () ...))
   ("key2" "label2" exec (labmda () ...))
    )

If you are seeking simplicity, I suppose, `completing-read' should be more than enough. TAB shows list of options and it is quite similar to menu.

I have seen `org-mks' function but I am unsure if it will suite for you to define capture-like interface.

I do not think, you patch should be applied. Org-capture is a particular case of menu-like interface, but its purpose is capture and that should not be abused.

I can not say that I really like org-capture UI. It blocks other windows and frame. I believe, menu windows should just define own keymap without affecting of minibuffer.