Re: [patch] ox-html.el: add html attribute (verse numbers) to verse bloc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch] ox-html.el: add html attribute (verse numbers) to verse blocks
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:10:40 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> I believe that an html attribute to display marginal verse numbers in
> sequence could be useful for certain content, as philological texts
> (like here:
> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Iliad_and_Odyssey_of_Homer_(Cowper)/Volume_2/The_Odyssey/Book_I)
>
> The `lines' property must be a digit that is equivalent to the verse
> numbers sequence:
>
> #+ATTR_HTML: :lines 5
> #+begin_verse
> some verses...
> #+end_verse

Sounds reasonable. However, a more consistent way to handle line numbers
would be using switches, like what we do in EXAMPLE blocks. See
org-element-example-block-parser and 12.6 Literal Examples section of
the manual.

Similarly, line numbering support can be implemented across more
export backends.

Best,
Ihor