Re: Emacs launched from Firefox

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Emacs launched from Firefox
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:26:30 +0700

On 26/05/2022 09:59, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Samuel Wales writes:

so idk why ff makes emacs not load .emacs or does an xterm.
/usr/bin/emacs results in indeed emacs25 atm.

Since you have not found a way to reproduce the issue in a month, I assume that you do not severely suffer from the problem.

gnome and kde are too heavy for my computer, and they can't do
everything fluxbox can, and fluxbox mostly wfm.

An advantage of KDE is that with some tuning it may be made more lightweight, while Gnome is less configurable. I do not consider a 8 year old laptop with i5 CPU and integrated graphics adapter as a high performance unit (it never was it). While Gnome makes the fan annoyingly noisy, there is no such problem in KDE with disabled desktop effects. I admit that the laptop is neither a low end one, and I was lucky with a Chinese SSD put into modem slot, the cost of upgrade was less than $100 and it improved startup time significantly. Maybe you are overestimating hardware requirements of desktop environments. While sometimes it is hard to control precise behavior of DE, some features (hard to configure from scratch) works out of the box, so it is a trade-off.

You may find https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Default_applications useful. I
also don't use desktop environment and had to setup defaults manually.

I can not say that this page is enlightening. In particular I do not like that it does not describe mimeapps.list files in more details. Various tool actually update this file. I have not summarized my bookmarks and notes on MIME and scheme handlers, but the following link may be useful even when gnome specific stuff is ignored:
https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mime-types-custom-user.html.en