Re: Org-attach for a directory

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Org-attach for a directory
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 10:11:41 +0000

Cletip Cletip writes:

> Thank you for your answer.

You're welcome.

> Your answer seems perfect to answer my question: I modify a function
> of org-mode, and it allows me to attach folders and files to a
> heading.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work (probably because of my version of
> org-mode I guess)
>
> I have the following error:
> make-directory: The file exists:
> /home/user/sharedDirectoryPrivate/notes/braindump/.data/11e080/1b-7896-4f20-a24a-b9f45337e940

I don't know all the details of your problem. But if it gives you an
error saying The file exists, I would say that the cause is that the
directory you want to copy already exists in your attach folder. Could
it be that in your case? Note that the 'copy-directory' function does not
overwrite copied directories.

> Just to make sure I understood correctly: you can, with the "copy"
> method and the simple modification of the "org-attach-attach"
> function, attach a folder to a heading of org mode?
> If so, this is exactly what I am looking for, and this would be a
> great help.

Exactly. I wrote a new version of org-attach-attach, modified that part,
as I told you, and added it via advice-add (with :override keyword) so
that it overrides the old function.

> To clarify my second question, I would like to have a folder system
> with org-mode, and therefore only use org-attach to arrange my
> documents, exactly like you.
> Could you describe your workflow in more detail? Your use of tags for
> example, do you put dates, etc.

Now I have less time than I would like to go into the details, but
perhaps some reflections that I shared here may be useful to you:

https://list.orgmode.org/875yms7wys.fsf@posteo.net/

The strong point of my approach is to think of Org nodes and not the
classic directory/file scheme. But for that to work well you must rely
on a system that ensures a semantic search through the nodes. For me the
answer is org-ql (and if you're a helm user, you have helm-org-ql too).
Basically it's turning all your Org documents into a human-readable
database, where searches can be narrowed down by tags, status, content,
etc.

Another important point is that this scheme works wonderfully well with
org-capture.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel