Re: [DISCUSSION] Refactoring fontification system

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Refactoring fontification system
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 22:31:09 +0700

On 08/06/2022 11:23, Tom Gillespie wrote:
As for lang parameter support in example blocks, would you mind creating
a separate feature request thread? Extending export blocks export will
require changing in parser syntax and thus should be discussed carefully
in a separate thread.

I would strongly caution against allowing an optional #+begin_example lang
syntax. It will lead to extreme confusion, even when users know to use org-lint.
The reason for this is that example blocks do not have (and frankly should not
have) full org-babel support. Babel is already complex enough as is without
having to explain to a user that yes they can noweb an example block into
a src block, but that they cannot noweb a source block into an example block.

My expectation is that treating #+begin_example almost as #+begin_src will simplify code. E.g. `org-latex-src-block' has a fallback to plain \begin{verbatim} if language is unknown or is not specified, so it may handle examples as well. The difference is that for #+begin_example evaluation and noweb are disabled, either it is hardcoded (my preference) or default values for :noweb and :eval header argument are adjusted.