Re: org-capture firefox extension broken [silently]

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: org-capture firefox extension broken [silently]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:43:29 -0700

thank you for repllies.  more below.

i will reply to rest of message when can, but wanted to give the
answers.  [n.b. i still have drafts on other things because it takes
me long time to do things but they are there.]

On 6/10/22, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Have you tried to check that org-protocol still works on your system?
>        xdg-open 'org-protocol:/org-capture?url=something'

i ran this from emacs shell mode bash cli as user.  it brought firefox
to fg, opened a new tab, and the tab has a search page in my default
search engine that says "org-protocol:/org-capture?url=something" in
the search box.  is that correct?

[idk if relevant, but after the rebooting, deluge also broke; it
stopped running the correct bash script upon rclick open on a file.
idk why.  somebody suggested i run xdg-mime with a coupld of commans
for a video fie but xdg-open still fails to call what i set [it calls
a video player when run on that type of file] and deluge is still
broken [called broken video players until i uninstalled them, een
after i did the xdg-mime thing, and now calls the same video player].
i find that xdg-open, mime, and file associations are too complex for
me, do the wrong thing, stop working.]

> - Have you checked what action is set for org-protocol in Firefox
> settings page about:preferences "Applications" section?

org-protocol is there.  strangely it says "always ask" even though
clicking on the org-capture unicorn does not ask.  the icon looks like
a page with a dog-ear.  there is nothing indicating what action is
set.  double clicking does nothing.  rclick oes nothing.  i undid the
tst sidebar and turned on js and still see no action listed.

> - Have you tried to create a html page with an org-protocol link and to
> click on it?

no clue what i would do to do that.