Re: [BUG] org-capture autoload bug? [9.5.2 (9.5.2-gfbff08 @ /home/ignaci

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-capture autoload bug? [9.5.2 (9.5.2-gfbff08 @ /home/ignacio/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5.2/)]
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:36:06 +0700

On 11/06/2022 20:32, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Ignacio Casso writes:

Then we should decide if we want to use autoload cookies for custom
variables to make this work also with lexical binding. Otherwise, code
like the snippet above would produce an error in Emacs 29, and in Emacs
27 the let binding would be ignored (although at least the custom setter
would work). I have no opinion regarding this last point since I don't
remember what were the disadvantages of using autoload cookies for
custom variables.

AFAIK, autoloading defcustoms is not discussed in the manual. I have no
idea about possible pitfalls as well.

I have impression that it is not encouraged, but Emacs sources have enough examples of such autoloading. I posted some links earlier in the discussion of this issue, see
Max Nikulin, Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:07:03 +0700.
https://list.orgmode.org/c58ae4d5-dd66-0d06-a332-cfdf23e1889e@gmail.com

LGTM! Unless others have objections, I am inclined to merge the patch
fully.

I see clear intention of improvement, but I have no particular opinion if the patch is risky. I worry a bit that some code related to this issue has changed in the development branch of Emacs, so I am unsure concerning behavior in earlier versions. I do not object committing the patch since it can be reverted later if some problem would arise.