Re: Utility of description lists

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Utility of description lists
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:05:14 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Cletip Cletip <clement020302@gmail.com> wrote:

> Final question : why do you use description lists and not another ?

I use description lists *heavily*.

1. For description lists of course.. where the "description" part is a
bit verbose and plain lists don't look at that elegant

For example, this in Org

=====
****** Customizing ~local.mk~ (Optional)
Here are few variables that you might like to change in the ~local.mk~:
- ~prefix~ :: Org installation directory
  #+begin_src makefile
  prefix = /dir/where/you/want/to/install/org # Default: /usr/share
  #+end_src
  The ~.el~ files will go to ~$(prefix)/emacs/site-lisp/org~ by
  default. If you'd like to change that, change the ~lispdir~
  variable too.
- ~infodir~ :: Org Info installation directory. I like to keep the
  Info file for development version of Org in a separate directory.
  #+begin_src makefile
  infodir = $(prefix)/org/info # Default: $(prefix)/info
  #+end_src
- ~ORG_MAKE_DOC~ :: Types of Org documentation you'd like to build by
  default.  Setting below generates only the Org Info manual.
  #+begin_src makefile
  ORG_MAKE_DOC = info # Default: html pdf
  #+end_src
=====

exports to
https://scripter.co/building-org-development-version/#customizing-local-dot-mk--optional

2. Where something would belong in a sub-heading, but not quite
exactly? I can only describe that using one of my examples:

=====
***** Using ~pip install~
If you do not want to manually download the ~.jar~, there's a Python
wrapper available to do the same for you:
[[https://github.com/svenkreiss/html5validator][html5validator]].
- Install ::
  #+begin_src shell
  pip install --user html5validator
  #+end_src
- Run ::
  #+begin_src shell
  html5validator --root public/
  #+end_src
  It seems like this Python wrapper implicitly passes ~--skip-non-html
=====

exports to https://scripter.co/offline-html5-validator/#using-pip-install

3. Sometimes I also use it for adding Notes to a section

=====
- Note :: While the =%.1f= format is handy for those who are used to
          =printf()= syntax, note that Calc unlimited precision
          numbers are converted to double floats before applying
          =%.1f=. Whereas =f1= operates on Calc numbers without
          conversion.
=====

exports to the Note in
https://scripter.co/field-formatters-in-org-table/#using-calc-f1-formatter