Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:50 -0300

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 at 12:28, Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
> Juan,
>
> I've often wondered the same thing. I've looked at Hyperbole several
> times. They have been great at advertising when a new release
> occurs. Yet I find that I can't really find a useful feature in it
> that I don't get from Org-mode.
>
> Is there some keen feature I'm missing? What's the use case for
> Hyperbole if you're already an Org-mode user?

Hi Russell,

Some years ago I tried to integrate Hyperbole and eev and 1) I failed
miserably, and 2) I ended up with the impression that Hyperbole is
meant to be "used", not to be "hacked"... for example, in Hyperbole
the action of a button like this,

  {C-h h d a}

is to emulate what happens when the user types `C-h h d a'. This
button works exactly as expected; eev implements something similar,
but in a very simplistic, and slightly buggy, way: when we run this in
eev

  (eek "C-h h d a")

it simply runs this,

  (execute-kbd-macro (read-kbd-macro "C-h h d a"))

that just inserts an "a". The details are here, in the second part,
after the blank lines:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/hyperbole-users/2020-09/msg00013.html

Hyperbole has some amazing features, but its code needs to be
refactored to make more parts of it easier to use from Lisp... someone
needs to do that, and this someone won't be me, as I'm burnt out. =(
My links about my attempts to learn Hyperbole are here:

  http://angg.twu.net/hyperbole.html

  [[]],
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/2021-org-for-non-users.html