Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 09:37:20 +1000

Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 02:03:15PM +0000, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
>> I've been intrigued with GNU Hyperbole for a while. I'm reading the
>> documentation and trying it out a bit. It seems that its button system
>> is very powerful. But Org links are also powerful (and exportable), and
>> can be extended outside of Org docs. It seems that hyperbole offers some
>> cool stuff that Org also has. And other things that are not in Org. I
>> find some parts a bit confusing. I wonder if anyone is using hyperbole
>> with Org and can put here some minimal workflow example where both
>> complement each other in some way. Just in case I'm missing something
>> useful...
>
> Juan,
>
> I've often wondered the same thing. I've looked at Hyperbole several
> times. They have been great at advertising when a new release
> occurs. Yet I find that I can't really find a useful feature in it
> that I don't get from Org-mode.
>
> Is there some keen feature I'm missing? What's the use case for
> Hyperbole if you're already an Org-mode user?
>
>                                     https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

My experiences with it mirror yours. It looked interesting and there
were some ideas which sounded interesting, but when I came to use it, I
found little, if anything, which didn't have a close equivalence in org
mode and many things in org mode which it did not have.

In the end, it came down to asking myself do I really want yet another
information management framework in my life and the answer was no. I do
vaguely recall (it was a while ago) there were some ideas I thought
would be good to add to org mode though. Unfortunately, I cannot recall
the details now.